Ending 2020 with a blend of sweet and spice just like how the year went by; a whirlwind of mixed emotions.
This jam here has a sweet and peppery taste with a slight bite to it. If you’re looking for a smooth texture, feel free to blend the tomatoes and chilli pepper into a smooth purée before adding them to the saucepan.
Adjust the spice level of the jam by deseeding the chilies. I kept two chilies intact and removed the seeds of the rest. The red chili pepper is one of my favorite ingredients to work with during winter season. It’s flavorsome and such a versatile ingredient that it pairs well with almost all the other fruits and vegetables in your kitchen.
There’s a nice chili garlic chutney I had prepared with these red chilies. Savor it with momos, cutlets, add it to your gravies, etc. – Cayenne Pepper Garlic Chutney
This is what you’ll need:-
Fresh Tomato and Chilli Jam
- 2 cups finely chopped tomatoes ( approx. 4 large tomatoes)
- 1 cup finely chopped fresh red chillies ( approx. 5 )
- 1 ½ cups refined sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (optional)
1) Mix all the above ingredients except lemon juice and keep aside for 10 minutes.
2) Add the above mix to a saucepan on a low flame.
3) You’ll notice the juices release in about 5-10 minutes. Pour in the lemon juice and give it a quick stir.
4) Let the jam cook for another 30-35 minutes or until you’re happy with the consistency keeping in mind that the jam will thicken up a little after it cools down. I turned off the flame after the liquid turned into a thick syrup like consistency.
5) Let it rest for 10-15 minutes. Pour the jam in a clean air-tight container.
Happy New Year to all 🙂