As complicated as the name sounds, well at least for a non-Italian speaker like me 🙂 , spaghetti Aglio e Olio is one of the simplest and most fuss-free dishes I’ve come across. If you get the quantity of garlic and olive oil right, (yes, that’s what aglio e olio translates to), this dish is the bomb! You’ll want to slurp it away right off the pan, leaving you completely contented.
It’s winter season and this is the time when fresh red chilli pepper is easily available. I like to use them in my cooking because they have their own sweet peppery flavor. Their spice level can be altered by deseeding them. I’ve put down a few more recipes you might like, where I’ve prepared recipes with these red chillies under my DIY Ingredients section and other categories. Find links at the end of this recipe.
This is what you’ll need:-
Spaghetti Aglio e Olio with Mushrooms
- 200 gm Spaghetti (I’ve used Del Monte)
- 8-10 cloves of fresh garlic
- 2 fresh red chillies (deseed if you like) (use red chilli flakes if fresh chillies are unavailable)
- 1 ½ cups Button Mushrooms
- 4 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- Salt to taste
1) Chop up your garlic, red chillies (I deseeded one chili) and mushrooms.
2) Boil water in a deep pot. Add salt to the boiling water and put in the spaghetti for 5-7 minutes or as per instructions on the packet. Bite into a strand to check if the spaghetti is done. Keep 1/4th cup of pasta water aside and drain the rest.
3) Heat EVOO in a shallow pan and add in your chopped garlic. Sauté on a medium-high flame for a minute.
4) Next, add in red chillies and mushrooms. Sauté.
5) Add in salt to taste and the pasta water we had kept aside.
6) After the mushrooms are thoroughly cooked, add in the spaghetti and toss well until it’s well coated.
7) Serve hot.
Happy Cooking 🙂