Mustard is a superfood, packed with immense flavor in all its forms, be it leaves, seeds, oil, or even a sauce for that matter. When it comes to using this superfood in the kitchen, I find joy in making my ingredients from scratch as opposed to buying them from the supermarket. The best part is that you have the liberty to alter the taste and consistency according to what you desire and also use fresh ingredients.
The one I have made here is an easy mustard sauce recipe made with just 3 ingredients. I’ve kept it strong, more like a concentrate, therefore, it’s quite pungent in taste. This way I have more options to alter the taste as per the dish I’m making. Add this sauce to various salad dressings, sandwich spreads, dips, marinades, etc. Feel free to add in honey, olive oil, garlic, black pepper, lemon, and more such ingredients keeping in mind the taste you’re looking for.
Here’s what you’ll need:-
Homemade Mustard Sauce
- ¼ cup yellow mustard seeds
- ¼ cup black mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp vinegar (optional)
- ½ cup of water
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp salt
1. Soak mustard seeds in vinegar and water overnight.
2. Drain the liquid and keep aside.
3. Add the mustard seeds in a mixer grinder and blitz. Depending on the thickness you’re looking for, add the liquid little by little along with turmeric powder and salt.
4. After you’re happy with the consistency, pour the sauce into a clean jar and refrigerate. The flavors will take a few days to blend in well. You can use it right away too.