When I think of a juicy grilled sandwich, all it reminds me of is Ross’ moist maker sandwich in F.R.I.E.N.D.S. 😉 I am sure, Friends lovers would know which episode I’m talking about. A perfectly grilled sandwich should be easy to gulp down and each bite should be bursting with flavor.
Over here, caramelized onions are the essence of this sandwich. They give a perfectly smoked and intense flavor. They blend in really well with the cheese and the veggies and the sandwich tastes just yum!
This is what you’ll need:-
CHEESY GRILLED SANDWICH WITH CARAMELIZED ONIONS
- 2 medium-sized onions cut in julienne
- 1 tbsp butter
- Bread Slices
- Cheese Slices
- Filling of your choice (I used cottage cheese, onions and green chili)
- Salt & Pepper for seasoning
1. Caramelizing Onions – Add butter in a heated non-stick pan and add in your onions. Leave them on a medium-low flame for 15 minutes giving it a mix at regular intervals, making sure you don’t end up burning them. Sprinkle a little water if you feel they might burn. It will take more time for more onions. Some people also like to add a little sugar during the process.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the filling of your choice. I sautéed onions, green chili and cottage cheese cubes in a non-stick pan with a trickle of olive oil and seasoned it with freshly ground black pepper and salt.
3. Assemble your sandwich by adding cheese slices, filling and caramelized onions. Leave it open if you wish to or make a closed one like I did here. Place it on your heated griddle pan.
4. I had them with baked potato wedges and cucumber. Have this gooey grilled sandwich with a chilled shake. Just an icing on the cake! 😉