A few of my lovely readers have been insisting me to prepare Indian dishes for my blog. One of my friends mentioned she was looking for some good kofta curry recipe. I suggested I’d make the dish and post it here. A little bit of preparation time is required for making the koftas. Once you’re through with that it takes no time at all for the rest of the preparation. It tastes best with rice. Best part about Indian dishes is that you can add your own favorite spices in different quantities. If you like spicy food, add more green chili. You can vary them according to your own taste. 🙂
This is what you will need:
Ingredients (Serves 4)
250 gm mashed cottage cheese/paneer
3 boiled potatoes
1 cup tomato puree
2 tbsp ginger garlic and green chili paste
1 cup onion paste
1 1/2 cup milk
1 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp chana masala (optional)
2 tsp cumin seeds
3 tsp cornflour
½ tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp ginger powder
A pinch of black pepper powder
¼ tsp asafetida
2 tbsp olive oil for gravy
Refined Oil for frying koftas
Salt to taste
Step I- Preparing koftas
- Mash cottage cheese into a smooth consistency. Season it with salt, red chili powder, ginger powder and a pinch of black pepper powder. Mix well and form into balls. You can stuff dry fruits in it if you like.
- Mash boiled potatoes. Add cornflour and season with salt and red chili powder. Mix well.
- Take a portion of potato mixture. Flatten it out and place the cottage cheese ball on it and cover it up properly.
- Do the same for all. Form into any shape you please. Keep aside.
Step II- Preparing gravy
- Heat olive oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and asafetida. Let it release its flavor.
- Add ginger garlic green chili paste. Sauté for two minutes. Add onion paste. Let it cook until it releases its flavor.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a shallow pan for frying koftas.
- Add tomato puree and let it cook. Add turmeric powder, salt to taste, chana masala, red chili powder. Next add milk and give it a stir continuously to prevent it from curdling. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add koftas to hot oil and fry until golden brown.
- Combine gravy and koftas. Serve hot with rice.
Happy Cooking 🙂