Making rice paper rolls was a first timer for me. It is a lot easier to prepare than I thought it would be. I was a little hesitant about the rolling bit, but frankly speaking it wasn’t bad at all. More importantly, they taste delicious. I tried to make them in 2-3 different styles. I personally liked the toasted ones the most. You can enjoy them in the form of a salad, fresh and crunchy summer rolls (for example, the most popular one, Vietnamese Salad) or as a snack like Spring rolls…Anything your taste buds are looking for… 😉
This is what you will need:
4-5 Rice Paper Sheets
For the filling
2 cups mushrooms
1 medium-sized onion
2 de-seeded cayenne pepper
½ cup cottage cheese (Paneer)
1 tsp soya sauce
½ tsp Sugar
2 tsp Olive Oil
Salt to taste
- For the filling– Drizzle a trickle of oil in a non-stick pan, keeping a medium flame, brown cottage cheese fingers on all sides, season with salt and pepper and keep aside. I also sprinkled a little chaat masala for a little extra kick.
- In the same pan, heat olive oil and add onions. Sprinkle salt and sauté. Add Cayenne Pepper, soya sauce and sugar. Give it a mix. Next, add in your mushrooms and cook on a medium flame. Mushrooms will release its moisture and shrink. Increase the flame and add cottage cheese. Give it a stir and keep aside.
- For the rice paper rolls- Take water in a vessel, big enough for the rice paper to soak in. I used a plate here. We will also require a clean and dry muslin cloth (kitchen towel). Spread it out.
- Soak the rice paper sheet in water for a few seconds (15-20) and place it on the kitchen towel for a minute. Dab if required. Lift it carefully, and place it on a clean dry plate. At this point, it will be a little sticky.
- Place cabbage (optional) and a little filling towards the end. Give one fold from the left and right. Then from below. Tuck in the filling and give it a roll.
Toast them evenly in a non-stick pan and dig into it…Slurp!!
I served it with fresh cucumber salad (tossed in salt, pepper and a dash of lemon juice) and a sweet chili dip.
Note: Sweet Chili Dip- Chopped fresh red chili, 2 parts sugar and 2 part water, 2 tsp lemon. Heat sugar and water. Add it to chili and lemon juice. Mix well.
Not so long ago, I made these rolls with a different filling and had them cold. They were equally relishing! 🙂